Osteopathy and shoulder pain treatment
Suffering from shoulder pain can be seen as something people ‘just have to deal with’ and it often goes unchecked for years on end… is this you?
Shoulder Pain is common and can be caused by a number of conditions. These conditions include:
- Rotator cuff problem – pain in the shoulder or upper arm, particularly when lifting the arm, lying on it or using the sore muscles. It is often the result of repetitive overuse of the arm and shoulder during a sport or activity or the result of a shoulder injury. Age can also play a part.
- Acromioclavicular joint pain – painful joint on the tip of the shoulder where the collarbone and shoulder blade join
- Frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis – is the painful and gradual stiffening of the shoulder capsule (the tissue that surrounds your shoulder joint) and the shoulder can often become so stiff and painful that it limits your ability to use your arm in everyday activities.
- Referred shoulder pain – pain is experienced in an area away from the actual injury or problem e.g. pain in shoulder which is usually referred from the neck or upper back
- Osteoarthritis – progressive wearing away of the cartilage of the joint leading to the two bones of the joint rubbing together causing pain. Patients who have had previous trauma or shoulder surgery are most likely to develop Osteoarthritis in later life. Symptoms include swelling, stiffness, aching and sharp, stabbing pains.
- Shoulder instability – dislocation or excessive movement of the shoulder joint.
Shoulder pain treatment with Your Osteopath:
Shoulder problems are often complex and can take a long time to resolve. An Osteopath will work with you to try and understand the cause of your shoulder problem.